Saturday, February 5, 2011

PF Changs Lettuce Wraps


Paige loves PF Changs particularly the Kung Pao Chicken.  Last time we were there we had the lettuce wraps.  We both liked them so Paige wanted PF Changs but can't go out becuase she has pneumonia.  So I cooked her some lettuce wraps here at home.

I got the recipe from a cook book and changed it up a little.
I cut up some chicken titties 1.5lbs real thin slices.
Put them in a bowl with 2 tsp sherry, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp corn starch, 1 tsp H2O some salt and pepper. and 1 tsp vegetable oil.  Stir it all up to coat the chicken and stick in fridge to marinate.

Need some dried shitake mushrooms.  I used two packages next time probably only one.  These need rehydrated.  Hot water in a bowl.  Soak the shrooms for about 25-30 minutes.  I warn you they stink.  I've smelled stuff that came out of our dogs that smells better.

Mince up two or three cloves of garlic, 2 green onions (next time I will double the green onions and garlic)  Also about a tsp of fresh minced ginger and a tsp of chopped up dried chilli.  Put all this in a bowl and set aside.

Chop up a cup of bamboo shoots and a cup of water chestnuts.  Also chop up the mushrooms.  All this should go into another bowl.

In another bowl put 4 tsp hoisin sauce, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sherry, 2 tsp oyster sauce, 2 tsp H2O, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp sugar, 2 tsp corn starch.  Mix it all up and set aside.

Also need to cook a cup and a half of cellophane noodles.  (not really necessary they just go on the plate for the chicken stuff to sit on)  I won't do them again

Once everything is ready put 3 tbsp vegetable oil in wok,  when hot add the chicken and cook until done.  Remove the chicken.  I chopped up the chicken into small bits and put aside in a bowl.

Add 2 tbsp oil to wok and heat it up.  Dump the bowl with the green onions, garlic, chillis, and ginger into the wok and stir fry for about a minute.  Then dump the bowl with the shrooms, bamboo, and water chestnuts into the wok and stir fry for a few more minutes.  Add the chicken and then dump the bowl with the sauce into the wok and stir fry until hot and thickened. 

Put the cellophane noodles on the serving plate and then dump the chicken mixture on top.
Use Bibb or iceberg lettuce leaves to wrap the mixture in.

Also for dipping sauce I put some potsticker sauce in a small bowl 4-5 tbsp.  Then added 1 tsp or more of chinese hot mustard and red chilli paste.  More can be added to taste.  I spoon this stuff over the chicken stuff in my lettuce wrap.  Some people dip it but I can never keep the chicken in if I dip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment