Saturday, February 5, 2011

Chicken Marsala, Roasted Garlic and New Potatoes, and Green Beans



So I made some chicken marsala.

Take 4 big chicken titties and slice them in half length-wise (make them thinner)
Mix some flour and Emerils essence in a bowl (about 1/2 cup and a tbsp or two of the essence)
I used a wok to cook everything.  so enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the wok.  add 2 tbsp of butter and heat it up.  Dredge the chicken in the flour and shake it off.  Put it in a couple pieces at a time and brown flip and brown the other side then remove and set aside for later.  Add another couple tbsps of olive oil and a tbsp of butter to the pan.  Add a container of sliced white mushrooms (you know the foam container wrapped in plastic)  Brown the mushrooms.
When the mushrooms are browned add 3/4 cup marsala.  When marsala has reduced by 1/2 add a cup of chicken broth.  Let it cook down a couple minutes then add the chicken.
Let it cook until the chicken is done and the sauce thickens up a bit.  I ended up adding a little corn starch and water to thicken it in the end.  Salt and pepper to taste then serve.

The potatoes took a little longer.
I used about 3 lbs of potatoes and quartered them up (the larger ones  I cut up a little more  about 1 inch pieces).  I also took 6 heads of garlic and chopped the tops off (leave the head whole just chop off the top so you have all the cloves exposed and their tops or chopped off)  I arrange all this on a large baking sheet with sides on it.  Mix the garlic heads around with the potatoes (i.e. don't put all the garlic on one side)  Then i dripped some olive oil all over the potatoes and spooned a little into the tops of the garlic.  Then I followed this up with some Reisling I made last year (about 1/2 cup of the oil and the wine.)  Any white wine will work  (since you can't have mine unless you come get it) just sprinkle on the potatoes and spoon into the heads of garlic.  Then I sprinkled some sea salt and black pepper and a touch of smoked paprika on everything.  I then took some fresh rosemary and chopped it up and sprinkled it over everything.  Cover everything in aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.  Then remove foil and bake another 20 minutres or until the potatoes are done.

The green beans were fresh.  I fried 3 pieces of bacon in a pan.  Removed the bacon. I then added about 1/2 a white onion chopped up and fried it in the bacon grease.  Then I added the green beans, some minced garlic, salt and pepper.  After about 2 minutes I added a cup of chicken broth (hot water and bullion cube) and  let it cook.  I chopped up the bacon and added it to the beans.  I cooked it all down until the beans were cooked and the broth was thick (about 15 minutes).

Plate it all up and dig in.

Oh yeah just like the pictures show I forgot.  Chop up some green onions to put on top of the chicken.

1 comment: